Ector County, Texas Genealogy & History

Towns

Badger

Badger was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad northeast of the present Judkins switch in south central Ector County.  Read more

Douro

Douro [or Duro], Texas, a vanished community, was established 10 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, on the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County in 1881, when the railroad reached the county.  Read more

Gardendale

Gardendale is north of Odessa and east of Scharbauer City on Hwy 158. Read more

Goldsmith

Goldsmith opened as oil field June 14, 1935, with flow of 1140 barrels of crude oil daily from discovery well. Within a month, shacks and tents housed 350 people.  Read more

Judkins

Judkins, on U.S. Highway 80 and the Missouri Pacific Railroad in southwestern Ector County, was established as a station on the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1880 and named for Frank Judkins, an early landowner. Read more

Metz

Metz is located 4 miles southwest of Judkins, Texas, and 5 miles northeast of Prairie Home, Texas, on the Texas & Pacific railroad.  Read more

North Cowden

North Cowden is on State Highway 158 seventeen miles northwest of Odessa in north central Ector County. Oil was discovered in the North Cowden field on September 3, 1930.  Read more

Notrees

Notrees, on State Highway 302 twenty-one miles northwest of Odessa in west central Ector County, had one native tree before construction of a large Shell gas plant forced its removal.  Read more

Odessa

Odessa, the largest town and county seat of Ector County, is the chief shipping point for the surrounding livestock area as well as a center for the oil and gas industry.  Read more

Penwell

Penwell, sixteen miles southwest of Odessa in southwestern Ector County, was named for J. H. Penn, a veteran West Texas oil operator, who drilled the discovery well of the Penwell-Jordan oilfield.  Read more

Pleasant Farms

Pleasant Farms is a community in southeastern Ector County, southwest of Odessa.  Read more

Prairie Home

Prairie Home was located 23 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, and less than two miles north of the Crane County line in southwestern Ector County.  Read more

Scharbauer City

Scharbauer City is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 385 and State Highway 158, 1½ miles west of Gardendale in northeastern Ector County. Read more

Smith Chapel

Smith Chapel was located at an unknown point about twelve miles northwest of Odessa, Texas, in central Ector County.  Read more

Turnbaugh Corner

Turnbaugh Corner, Texas is a community in northwestern Ector County, northeast of Notrees.  Read more

West Odessa

West Odessa is on the western edge of Odessa and Monahans Draw in central Ector County. It is a wedge-shaped sixty square-mile area, bordered by Farm roads 866 and 302, Loop 338, and Interstate Highway 20.  Read more