Ector County, Texas Genealogy & History
North Cowden, Texas
North Cowden is on State Highway 158 seventeen miles northwest of Odessa in north central Ector County. Oil was discovered in the North Cowden field on September 3, 1930, and the town that developed to supply the oilfield workers was named for that field. A post office was established in the community in 1947; Anna Dryer served as the first postmaster. By 1952 North Cowden reported three businesses, and from 1954 through 1961 it had seven, but by 1964 no businesses were reported there. By 1976 the post office had closed. From 1952 through 1990 the population of North Cowden was estimated at eighty. North Cowden from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Site of Ector County's second big oil strike. Named for ranching family of John M. Cowden, an 1885 permian basin settler; one of 4 brothers, ranching community leaders on Texas frontiers. Oil and gas development began here with the 1930 discovery. Post Office granted 1947. Town continues as a permian basin petroleum source.
Historical Marker Text, SH 158 at S. City limits, Cowden