Ector County, Texas Genealogy & History

Goldsmith, Texas

Goldsmith opened as oil field June 14, 1935, with flow of 1140 barrels of crude oil daily from discovery well. Within a month, shacks and tents housed 350 people. Harry L. Tucker in May 1937 platted town of Ector City. Name later changed to honor C. A. Goldsmith, owner of the land. In 2 years, Goldsmith had a cafes, taverns, hotels, motels, shops and newspaper. First residents paid 25 cents at only bath in town--a shower sprayed form an overhead tank. Now a gas processing and distribution center.  1965

Historical Marker Text, location:  100 ft. N. of intersection of SH 158 & Hendrickson St. (on Hendrickson St.), Goldsmith

Downtown Goldsmith 1934 photo from OdessaHistory.org

Goldsmith Jail photos from OdessaHistory.org

Goldsmith History from the Handbook of Texas Online

Goldsmith at wikipedia.org