Ector County, Texas Genealogy & History
Douro [or Duro], Texas, a vanished community, was established 10 miles southwest of Odessa, Texas, on the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County in 1881, when the railroad reached the county. A town plat for Douro was drawn; lots were sold; and, plans for a courthouse were made. However, no town developed at the site. One story for the origin of the name is the Spanish word, duro, meaning firm or unyielding. According to the story, a Spanish-speaking track layer found the ground difficult to work with his pick and shovel and called it duro. After oil was discovered in Penwell field on 28 December 1926 and in Harper field on 02 December 1933, Douro became a small boom town for a short time. Douro reported one business and a population of 25 from 1939 until 1947. When the boom faded, so did Douro.
Sources: Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8-13; 1939 Texas Almanac, 107; 1941-42 Texas Almanac, 121; 1943-44 Texas Almanac, 74; 1945-1946 Texas Almanac, 116; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, 138] No post office existed at the site. Sources: Bill Walkup, The Advent of the Iron Horse,” in Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), 3, 6-8; Wylene Kirk, Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area, in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads: A Record of Construction and Abandonment (Austin: UT and TSHA, 1981), 91.