Ector County, Texas Genealogy & History
Badger, Texas, reportedly a populated place, was located 2 miles northeast of Judkins, Texas, on U. S. Highway 80 and the Texas & Pacific railroad in southwestern Ector County. Although it sat beside the railroad, Badger did not originate as a point on the railroad. Badger developed as a result of the oil discovery on 28 December 1926 in nearby Penwell field. In the oil boom that followed, Badger came into existence at sometime in 1927. By 1933 the community reported one business and a population of 200 and that population figure remained until sometime during World War II. After the war and through 1947 population showed a decline to fifty, still served by one business. Before 1949 both the population and the business disappeared and Badger, Texas, was not listed among Texas populated places by later issues of Texas Almanac or by John Clements in Flying the Colors (1984). No post office, school, church, or cemetery was found at Badger, Texas.
Sources: Wylene Kirk, “Early Post Offices and Towns in the Permian Basin Area,” in The Texas Permian Historical Annual 1:1 (Aug 1961), 11-21; Bill Walkup, “The Advent of the Iron Horse,” in Odessa, Texas (n.p.: Texas Permian Historical Society, 1961), 6-8; Robert L. Phifer, Petroleum Review: Ector County, Texas (Houston: Phifer Petroleum Publications, 1955), 8, 13; 1933 Texas Almanac, 54; 1936 Texas Almanac, 147; 1939 Texas Almanac, 103; 1941-42 Texas Almanac, 117; 1943-44 Texas Almanac, 71; 1945-1946 Texas Almanac, 111; 1947-1948 Texas Almanac, 135, map on page 462 shows location of Badger, Texas; John Clements, Flying the Colors (Dallas: Clements Research, Inc., 1984), 218.